One of the hardest decisions to make when deciding to take a trip to Walt Disney World is where to stay. So many options from value resorts to deluxe resorts and each level and resort has advantages. Old Key West is the original Disney Vacation Club (DVC) resort (Disney’s version of a time share). But do not be discouraged you do not have to be a DVC member to enjoy all that Old Key West has to offer. This resort is beautiful with lush palms and sheltered inlets. The buildings reflect the style of historic Florida mansions. There are many things at this resort for guests of all ages!!
Here are my Top Five things to love about Old Key West.
1. The rooms!! This resort boasts some of the largest rooms in the Disney resorts. I have been lucky enough to stay in one of the 2 bedroom villas. My large family had lots of room to rest and relax! With 2 bedrooms (1 king size bed in the master, 2 queens in the 2nd bedroom and a sleeper sofa) everyone has plenty of room for sleeping. The full size kitchen can be wonderful. We usually use it to prepare breakfast on most mornings and then enjoy other meals in the park or restaurants at the different resorts. Each villa is also equipped with a washer and dryer in the room. This allows us to pack fewer clothes and also reduces my laundry load when we return home. After a long day in the park the Jacuzzi tub in the master suite is just what you need to relax!
Photos below are from an Old Key West Studio room.
2. The views….the view from the rooms we have been lucky enough to stay in have been beautiful and so peaceful. Both times we have stayed at this resort we have been in standard rooms but at this resort that has given us views of the waterway and the golf course. Loved watching the golfers in the mornings as we enjoyed breakfast on the balcony.
3. Olivia’s Café….this restaurant has a nautical theme and relaxing atmosphere. Breakfast at Olivia’s can start your day with a traditional favorite or one of the restaurants specialties: the Sombrero Beach Omelet and the Banana Bread French Toast. At lunch you will find things such as Conch Fritters, Conch Chowder and all kids of stacked sandwiches. If dinnertime is when you find yourself at Olivia’s you can indulge with Pan-seared Sea Scallops, Southernmost Buttermilk Chicken or a New York Strip Steak. If you have room the Banana Bread Pudding Sundae with bananas foster topping or Key Lime Tart!! In my experience the service at Olivia’s has been fabulous!
4. Activities!! This resort has so many things you can enjoy if you are not spending time in the parks. You can enjoy a game or tennis or a round of golf but if those are not things you enjoy how about a surrey bike ride along the trails lining the waterways! (some activities do have a charge). If relaxing by the pool is more what you are looking for this resort boasts three leisure pools and whirlpool spa in addition to the Sandcastle Pool with the waterslide and a sandy sunbathing beach area.
5. Ferry to Disney Springs!! Looking to spend the afternoon shopping or an evening on the town. Old Key West offers a ferry to Disney Springs to whisk you away to the shopping and entertainment district. This service is offered daily from 10:30 AM – 11:30 PM weather permitting. The boats depart about every 20 minutes.
There are so many other reasons to love and enjoy the hidden gem of Old Key West!! This resort is so quiet and relaxing and such a great way to end a loud crowded day in the parks. I would recommend this resort to anyone wanting to try one of the deluxe/DVC resorts!
Tammie Dial is a Vacation Specialist with Coasters & Castles Travel. She enjoys visiting Walt Disney World, Disneyland and sailing Disney Cruise Line with her family and planning vacations for her clients. Email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.